Monday, May 08, 2006

I've finally left Kona and other tales from my trip




• First and foremost, my sister and I are not twins. She's 2 1/2 years older. And we really don't look any more similar than any other siblings in the world. So, if one more person asks me if we are twins ... my head is going to explode! We got it twice yesterday at the airport alone and that was probably within a 20-minute time span.

• The Kona airport is the most messed up place I've ever been. And I was stuck there way too long. It was very hot. I was very sweaty. And, quite honestly, airports need "insides." They just do.

• My Mainland flights were not as bad as expected. Before leaving, my big boss said, "Oh my brother flew (that airline) and pretty much the only good thing he had to say about them was that they were cheap." I agreed, adding that Brad and I had flown them several years ago and had vowed to never do it again.
But, this time, I was pleasantly surprised. On the way to OAK, I had 3 seats all to myself. Had an empty seat next to me on the way back. They served food and fresh baked cookies ... something you're unlikely to get on any other airline. And the woman in Oakland was even willing to let the boy come home with me for free!

• The flight from Kona to Maui, once it finally happened, was not so good. It was raining like crazy, which did not make me feel better about getting on a prop plane. At one point during the flight, the entire plane dropped probably 20 feet and everyone gasped. While descinding to land, it kept teetering from side to side, causing me to claw the crap out of my hands and knees. (I still had the claw marks on my palm after we got in the car.) Right as we were landing, someone behind me said, "It's gonna be a REAL hard landing. Not gonna feel good." So I braced myself against the tray table in front of me. When we finally got to the gate, the guy sitting next to me said, "Well, that was more excitement than I had bargained for." My sentiment exactly.


• Got my nails and toes done in Mo-town. Pretty, huh? Bradley's reaction: "Very Long Island-y indeed."

• Went shopping but didn't really find a lot of stuff that I wanted. Brad was surprised and obviously disappointed at the size of my bags when he picked me up. He said, "Are you sure you went shopping?"

• Other than that, had a REAL nice time. Hung out with my sister and the boy a lot. Ate a lot. Shopped a lot, despite what Brad says. It was lots of fun.

No comments: