Brad and I went to Fred's on Monday for some chingaderas and margaritas. As we were leaving, the sun was starting to set, so we crossed the street and watched from the top of the beach park. We were also looking for whales, but only caught a few spouts. Brad said he wasn't sure that he'd ever sat and actually watched the sun set before. Me, I sometimes still see the Mille Lacs sunset video (circa 1986?) when I close my eyes.
Threat of high winds and heavy rains closes schools
See the story.
Stress the word "threat." We've seen no extremely high winds or heavy rains thus far. Also closed will be all county offices, pools, public golf courses, landfills and there will be no trash pick-up. All because it might be windy. Act prematurely much? The snow-day veterans among us know things can change a lot in 12 hours. And you don't call of school until the day of. Plus, how are people going to know? You look outside, it looks like every other day. People don't just check the radio/TV/newspaper/Internet to see if school is in session every day.
Can you hear that?
Somewhat related to the winds, the airport has changed its flight pattern for the last 2 days or so. Under normal conditions, Mainland flights come in from the north, cross the middle of the island and turn back to the north right around our house before landing. We don't usually notice them ... maybe because they are slowing down and still several thousand feet in the air, maybe because we've just gotten used to them. I don't know. When planes take off, they go north, out over the ocean, so that never affects us.
However, for the last 2 days, it has been just the opposite. They are taking off to the south and going directly over our apartment full throttle. It is incredibly loud. I asked the TV about it because, while she lives like 3 miles to south of us, she's the person that lives closest. She said that she hadn't noticed anything. And I was like, "Hmmm. Maybe its just my imagination." But as soon as I parked the car at home tonight I could feel the rumbling of a plane overheard. I got out of the car and looked up. Sure enough, just to the west of me, I could make out a plane (it was 10 p.m) and it was fairly easy to tell which direction it was headed and that it was climbing rather than descending. Not my imagination.

Mexican what?
Mexican Coke. As in Coca-Cola from Mexico. I received my box of 6 bottles from mexgrocer.com today. What's the difference between Mexican Coca-Cola and American Coca-Cola? The Mexican stuff (as well as that in European countries) is made with sugar while the American stuff is made with corn syrup. No, corn syrup is not bad for you. The sugar stuff just tastes better. I've refrigerated my bottles and plan to save them for special occasions. I mean special occasion starting tomorrow — Brad and I are going to share a bottle tonight just make sure its the good stuff. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment