Friday, November 27, 2009

Out with the old, in with the new

Our Internet company upgraded its service and sent us a new modem, which arrived today. It seems pretty nifty. It is receiving about double the about of bars the old one did and surfing does appear to be faster than this morning.

New specs
Last week, I midnight babysat for the Vs while they went to the new "Twilight" movie. Since it was so late, I took out my contacts before leaving home. I normally only wear my glasses for a few hours each morning and evening, so I didn't realize until I was driving down the highway that they were a way different prescription than my contacts. I was never in any danger, but told myself, "Man, maybe it's time to get new glasses. These aren't strong enough."
LensCrafters was advertising a 30% off sale, so I went in this afternoon and got myself some new glasses. In the process, I learned that the old ones (purchased in January 2005) were actually quite a bit stronger than the prescription I have now. Who would have guessed? I thought eyesight was supposed to get worse with age. I'm a medical marvel. :-)
Anyway, now I have 3 generations of eyeglasses. One pair was purchased (I think) before we left Iowa. The second, like I said, was acquired in January 2005. And the third are new as of today, but I have 30 days to return them in case Brad or you, oh loyal readers (aka, my mom) don't like them. I figure a new pair of glasses every 5 years isn't too extravagant ... even if these days LensCrafters only carries designer frames. (The new ones are DKNY. I really liked a pair of Dolce & Gabbana ones, but they lady told me that my eyes were too close together for those frames. Her loss, the D&Gs were $80 more than the ones I went with.)

So, which do you like best? Which are the new ones? Huh ... I think they all sort of look the same from this perspective.



No comments: