Sunday, October 29, 2006

Finally

I'm back.

I was going to put up some pictures from my surprise trip to California. (It was a surprise for my sister, not me, I knew I was going.) But the best photos won't upload from my camera to the computer. They are on the memory card, I can see them on the camera, but they just won't go to the computer. Could it be time for a new camera, already? I hope not, we got this one just over a year ago.


Anyway, the best I can do is this picture of me posing for my nephew, Chicken. He's quite the little photographer. Reminds his subjects to say "cheese" and everything.

But why is he called "Chicken"? He told me that's what his name is, am I really in a position to argue with the tyke? I'm thinking it may be because we'd watched "Chicken Little" earlier in the day or because that's all he eats and, as I told my sister, "Maybe its true that you really are what you eat." Its likely I'll never know the real reason, because by the time I see him again he'll be calling himself something else. As long as its never, "Name Bob. Drive van," everyone will be safe.

As for other things, my fear of earthquakes returned as soon as I returned to the islands. I'm pretty sure that I felt two just today, and that the U.S. Geological Survey is just messing with me by not putting them on their Web site.

Had a craving for nonboxed mac-n-cheese, so I attempted a recipe that I found on the Internet. It probably would have worked, if I had used condensed milk instead of evaporated milk like the recipe said. But, I didn't. And it was all clumpy and gross. I tried to eat it but decided it was bad after about two bites. Its still in the refrigerator in case Brad is really hungry when he gets home tonight. But I don' think he's going to be willing to eat it either.

However, I also tried a Chocolate Oatmeal Pie and it turned out real nice. Sorta reminds me of the chocolate pecan pie that I fell in love with my second summer in Minnesota. If you like that kind of thing, I'd definitely recommend it. Very easy. Very tasty.

And the best news of the day: Our rent is going down. That's right, down, as in decreasing. Our landlord stopped me this morning and said, "I'll give you $50 off a month if you let me have half of the driveway." Pssssh, yah, like I'm going to reject that offer. Its her driveway, she can do whatever she wants. And we still get a second parking spot off the street. Plus the driveway is really, really steep, I'm always worried that my brakes are going to give and the car will go crashing into the house behind us. So, Brad and I may end up thumb wrestling to see who gets the "prime" off-the-driveway spot.

Oh, and Brad fixed the bed with a little wood glue and some clamps. So far, so good. And I repeat — it was broken in the earthquake. Get your minds out of the gutter.

No comments: