Monday, June 02, 2008

What the heck am I doing?

"I believe it's jogging or yogging. It might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild."
— Ron Burgundy,
"Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy"

My frustration with the Fatness came to a head tonight. Bradley has whipped past several pre-vacation goals and is hardly recognizable anymore to those who know him. And with just 10 days left, I have yet to reach my original goal. The treadmill bores me, I almost passed out on the elliptical, the small Stairmaster is OK but I don't even break a sweat so that can't be effective and I never have anything with me to read on the bikes.

I went in tonight and looked around. Ugh, I'll try the elliptical again. But after 7 minutes on that, I had chest tightness and pain radiating down my right shoulder blade. Probably not a heart attack but I decided to stop because passing out on that thing would be really embarrassing. Now what? *Sigh* Back to the treadmill. Five minutes on that and I thought, "You know, I heard/read somewhere that stepping it up for even a few minutes at a time can be productive. I'll try that." S0 I cranked(?) the thing up to 4.1 mph and alternated jogging for 2 minutes, walking (at a slightly slower pace) for 3 or 4 minutes. I don't know if I accomplished anything — and I'm positive that I looked ridiculous — but I sure was sweating a lot and it was more entertaining than just walking. Plus, I cut my previous 1-mile record (since joining Fatness) by 40 seconds. The joy of Fatness has been restored.

No comments: