Thursday, July 13, 2006

Adding some finishing touches

With less than 2 weeks until our big trip departure, Brad and I are working day and night to make sure our itinerary is complete.

Here are the biggest changes that have come up since I posted it 2 days ago:

• I was able to convince my mom that cream cheese frosting is not the way to go with the family reunion cakes. Whew! That was a close one. Cream cheese could have ruined the whole vacation.

• T.Roy and Edgy told me the other day, "If you're gonna go to Amarillo, you have to go to Cadillac Ranch."
I said, "Really? Why? Why would I want to go there? I'm not like a big fan of prostitution."
"No, you stupid moron, that's Mustang Ranch," they said.
"Mustang, Cadillac ... what's the difference?" I replied.
"Wellllllll, Mustang Ranch is a brothel. Cadillac Ranch is like Carhenge, only with Cadillacs."
"Ah yes, I must go to Cadillac Ranch then."
Brad and I had a very similar conversation this morning, except I didn't call him a stupid moron.

• So, while looking up Cadillac Ranch on the Internet, I came across Cars on a Spike in Berwyn, Ill. It would be a 40-mile detour en route to Des Moines. But can I really miss this opportunity to see a trifecta of fabulous car sculptures? I think not.

• Brad suggested today that we need something to take with us and photograph in front of all the great places we visit. You know, ala the Travelocity gnome. But we can't decide what: the Mr. Met bobblehead (he coud get broken); the stuffed Lady Liberty torch (we don't care if it gets ruined); or the Tom Daschle bobblehead (would his people like that?); or something else.

• Small addition while visiting the fam Pep. We'll be cruising to Bob's for Cruise Night. Its an official activity. Bob's is right across the highway from the Ice Cream Capital of the World visitor's center. But we've already been there. Do we go again? It may be a game time decision.

No comments: