Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happenings here

Bradley called from work around 8 p.m. because fireworks were going off around him and he wanted to make sure I was doing OK. He knows that I hate fireworks and was worried I'd be curled up in a ball underneath the bed trying to hide from the explosions. Isn't he so sweet? Fortunately our neighborhood has been very quiet. I'd better enjoy it while I can. I know next year, when we're back across the street from the ghetto, it'll be nonstop fireworks.

So what is my deal with fireworks? I've never liked them. But two specific incidents that I remember from my childhood (keeping in mind that I come from a state where fireworks are illegal) are: 1. My relatives lighting off fireworks in my great-grandfather's backyard and one went got out of control and burned a hole in the hood of a car on the street in front of the house; 2. When I was in high school, the police came around the side of my parent's house immediately after my dad shot off a bottle rocket and his "launch tube" was smoking.

I'm a movie critic
I spent the evening watching "You, Me and Dupree." It was really bad. But I had to have something to distract me from the expected fireworks. One thing that caught my attention was that Dupree kept referring to Carl's "Carlness" and finally had to explain, "Its your name. With 'ness' after it." Made me laugh and think of how I turned Kayhow into a verb — "She's totally Kayhowed out her car."

And speaking of the lovely Kayhow, most don't know that she allegedly assaulted Owen Wilson at a nightclub earlier this year. It is a hilarious story. But I only mention it because it takes me full circle — "Y, M and D," Owen Wilson, Carlness, Kayhowed, Kayhow, nightclub assault. See? And if she sees him again, I'm going to make her promise to go on a tirade about what a horrible actor he is. Didn't used to be though, I liked "Zoolander" and "Wedding Crashers."

My hypochondria returns
I've noticed lately that I've always got an itchy, dry throat and stomach problems. To my knowledge, those problems started around the same time that I started taking a new prescription medicine. So, tonight I googled the drug name and side effects and several sites listed those problems as common side effects, but said to contain a doctor if the were "bad" or "lasted a long time." But how bad is bad? And long is a long time? If its been bad enough and going on long enough to mention it on my blog, does that mean its been bad enough and long enough to contact a doctor too?

Weird craving
Despite my stomach problems, I've been craving my mom's pickles for days. Mom, if you're reading this, please send me some. And for everyone else — NO not those kinds of cravings.

Coinstar queen
I went to the Coinstar machine on Sunday and walked away with an Amazon gift certificate for $46. That got me most of the way to a wet dry straightening hot air styler. I'd like to send out a special thank-you to Bradley for not emptying his pockets before his clothes go into the hamper. I couldn't have done it without him. :-) Plus, he carried the heavy bag of coins into Foodland for me.

Just a few more weeks
We close on our condo July 26. Exciting! Everyone's invited to our monthlong painting party.

Liar, liar pants on fire
My favorite Finn admitted today in a text message that the change in wedding date did not have anything to do with her grandmother's frozen behind. She is, in fact, pregnant. With twins. No word yet on whether or not they will be named R2 Jr. and D2. One can only hope. Or maybe R2D2 and C3PO. That would be awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pickle cravings? + No drinking for 9 months? = I am not going to say it for fear of backlash, but something is fishy?