Saturday, July 07, 2007

My dance with death

Yesterday I went into work with a fairly severe headache and by 7 o'clock, it was becoming unbearable. A search of my purse turned up no Advil Gelcaps and I wasn't ready to go for the prescription pills because somehow, at some point, I had to get myself home. Knowing that T.Roy had a stash of Tylenol in his desk, I called him at home and asked if I could raid it.

Those didn't really work and by about 7:30, I was also sick to my stomach. I took three trips to the facilities — the last of which I stood in front of the toilet and said to myself, "Ohmygod this is how its going to end. I'm going to die in a bathroom stall." After that, I told Kayhow and EdC. that I couldn't go on and headed home.

I got into the car considering spots along the way that I could pull over and puke. (A side note: That wouldn't have even been the first time that I'd gotten sick on the side of the road as a sober person — thanks to my sister and her germ-filled visit a few years ago.) As I passed the hospital, I pondered stopping. And, of course, I got stuck behind the slowest driver on the island for my entire trip home. But I did make it. No puking. No hospital visits. Suffered through a night of freezing sweats, but according to the crappy thermometer that we have, didn't have a fever.

I'm feeling much better this morning, er afternoon. Only a minor headache, but I'll make sure that the gelcaps are in my bag today. And maybe I'll avoid Korean bbq for a day or two.

No comments: