Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Awesome, awesome blast from the past


The Sheldon of yesteryear photo that appeared in the April 23 edition of the paper that just arrived in my mailbox today.

It says that the photo was taken on April 20, 1983. Caption reads: Blue skies appeared Monday afternoon just in time for the multiple balloon release by third-grade students of Carol Huffman at East Elementary in Sheldon. The balloons were attached to letters that began "Dear Friend" and requested that the finder write the student, telling when and where the letter was found. The letters by balloon marked the end of a letter-writing unit for the class. Just over 20 of the balloons were released in strong easterly winds which, some students hoped, would carry a letter to the Dakotas.

Oh my gosh, I didn't even read the full caption before I typed it. Will I ever stop laughing?

Anyone recognize the kid (fourth from the left) with the super-excited pumped fists and bow-legged pose? Was she really that much shorter than everyone else? Wish she were more in focus. Hint: I was only in the 1st grade in 1983.

No comments: