Greetings on Day #3. Although, really it feels like Day #1 to me because it took us so freakin' long to get here.
We arrived at SUX yesterday afternoon - 16 hours, two drinks spilled on Brad, three stops and a mad Minneapolis dash after the plane's wheels first left Maui soil.
Temperature in Sioux City was 25 degrees at landing. Thankfully, the fam remembered to bring our coats and accessories. Toonces called while we were loading up the Cady and after 30 seconds I had to hang up because my hand was beginning to freeze to the phone. We're talking the kind of extreme cold that persimmons would not survive in. (Tee, hee, Chambers!)
First stop: Green Gables. It is a very old restaurant just down the hill from where my grandmother lived and I remember her taking us there for sundaes when my sister and I would visit. We tried to go last year, because Brad had heard all about it and never been, but we got there too late and it was closed. This year, we made it before the dinner crowd. I had the hot beef sandwich. Brad had the reuben. The four of us split a hot fudge sundae. I was in charge of pouring the hot fudge. Sioux City natives Dear Abby and Ann Landers loved it in their day ... I love it now.
Second stop: Iowa Lottery and Powerball tickets. Brad and I won $10 on a bingo scratch ticket, but nothing on Powerball. We'll try again Wednesday and Saturday.
Third stop: Casa fam Pep. Then to bed before 9 p.m. I was exhausted.
Sunday's activities included setting up the Christmas tree, a trip to Pamida - the super-small-town version of Kmart - where we had to wait for the people in front of us at the check out to call and activate their credit card, more lottery tickets (no winners this time), and a stop at Bomgaars (the local farm supply store) for light bulbs. All very exciting.
Tomorrow we had big plans to go shopping in Sioux Falls and see my friend J (who is there on a business trip), but the Weather Channel is forecasting freezing rain and snow (we love it!) so that may need to be delayed a day or two. As long as it doesn't disrupt taco night, we should be OK.
Price of gas: $1.64. As low as $1.49 in the "city." Brad says he's gonna go ahead with his fuel-for-everybody plan.
2 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment