Wednesday, December 19, 2007

So far, it is the best vacation ever

It is only 3:34 p.m., but here's how the day has played out so far.

2 a.m.: We arrive at the homestead.

6:30 a.m.: My mom accidentally wakes me up when she comes in our room looking for a sweater.

7 a.m.: I crawl out of bed to see what she's doing and catch her walking out the door. Now I'm awake, so I lay on the couch shivering and wondering why my parents don't have digital cable. Wait, this doesn't sound like a good vacation so far, does it?

8ish: I take a shower, make breakfast, dry my hair and get dressed. Yes, in that order.

9ish: With Brad still asleep, I hop in the Mazda rental car and head for the jewelry store. The woman working there asks if I'm Mike and Sharon's daughter. I confirm that I am. She says that she used to work with my mom. We discuss her upcoming Maui vacation for about 10 minutes. The jeweler isn't in today, but the woman promises that the ring will be done by Saturday, so I leave it.

9:20 a.m.: I make an appearance at my mom's office. One co-worker says, "If I hadn't known that you were the one coming home, I would have sworn that Chris (that's my sister) had just walked in the door." My mom and I fake smile and growl under our breath ... the sis and I do not look that much alike. I say, "No, it's me. She's looks much, much older." Ha, ha, too bad she's not here to defend herself.

10 a.m.: I return home to find Brad still asleep. Since it is cold, I climb under the blankets and fall back to sleep.

11 a.m.: The ringing phone wakes me up. It is my mom calling to ask what we want to do for lunch. I say Taco Johns. Brad finally wakes up and gets in the shower.

11:10 a.m.: My dad calls to see what we're doing.

Noon: Lunch at Taco Johns, courtesy of my mom. I had the taco burger and Potato Oles. She had the Nachos Navidad. Brad may have still been asleep when he ordered because he somehow ended up with chicken nuggets. On the way home we stop at Casey's to get ourselves 10 Powerball tickets for tonight's drawing. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 p.m.-ish: My mom heads back to work. I wrap a few presents before Brad and I lay down on the couch and fall asleep.

3:15 p.m.: The Schwan's man wakes us up by ringing the doorbell. Brad and I love the Schwan's man. We wish we had one in Hawaii. We buy some cinnamon rolls and potato skins.

And that brings you to now. I think Brad may be asleep on the couch again. My mom should be home soon. Tonight is taco night. Everyone knows that's a big deal. Taco Johns and taco night in the same day? Can my stomach handle that much Mexican food? I think so. Good times.

1 comment:

yucaree said...

hey, welcome back to the mainland!

let us know if you still want to spend some time together during your layover at lax. email or call us!

enjoy your stay with the fam. and merry christmas!