Friday, March 07, 2008

Oh-ahu


First stop: Standalous recommended Hokulani Bake Shop over Cake Couture but admitted that he'd never actually been to Cake Couture. Since it's located between the airport and the Ala Moana Center, I decided to go with Hokulani. Besides, I still have no idea where Aina Haina is and didn't feel like venturing outside of my comfort zone without my "trusty" navigator Brad by my side. I bought two tins of 8 cupcakes each to bring back and had a chocolate with pink buttercream cupcake right there as nourishment for the long journey ahead. Word to the wise: Don't leave cupcakes in a rental car for 6+ hours and then put them in your checked luggage.

Second stop: Ala Moana Center. Nordstrom was INsane. I swear I've never seen that many people in one place in my entire life. I had to wait in line to get onto the escalator. I made the mistake of heading to the restroom and the line was ginormous. (Understandably, it was opening day.) I said no way and turned around. As I was walking away and rolling my eyes, two women came up to me and said, "Hey! They're letting women use the men's room and there's no wait." Were they messing with me? I headed to the men's room and sure enough there was a "closed" sign and a Nordstrom employee standing guard to let women in the know inside. It was the first men's room I'd been in in quite some time and it was really nice. Brad'll have to check it out. Then I got suckered into applying for a Nordstrom card because if I just spent $100 today I'd get a $20 gift certificate. So I did. And I did. The gift certificate is in the mail. Uh-huh.

The other insane place was the relocated (and much, much bigger) Williams-Sonoma. Did I mention that this place is hugemungous (it's a word)?? I'm pretty sure that I didn't even see half the store. There were people everywhere and I think I took a wrong turn at stemware. It was crazy.
Don't get me wrong, I love Williams-Sonoma, but I'm not really sure a larger store was necessary. It didn't appear that they actually had more items for sale, just had them more spread out. Still, very exciting. I got Bradley an egg slicer there and another present that he is not yet aware of.

Final stop: Zippy's, baby! Oh, sweet glorious Zippy's, how I long for the day that we'll be together. I stopped on my way back to the airport for a little crispy chicken and mashed potatoes action. I don't know if it's that the booth seats are too close to the table or what the deal is, but I'm alway conscious of the fact that my food could land on my shirt at any moment. I started the meal out cautiously and, just like always happens, got a little cocky with the second-to-last bite and POW! mashed potatoes right in the kisser. Assuming, of course, that kisser means middle of my shirt. I tried to dab my napkin in my water and wipe it off, but that just seemed to make it worse. I left a big tip and slithered away hoping that it would dry before I got to the airport. It didn't.

No comments: