Monday, August 31, 2009

Because some people think I lead a charmed life ...

Here is proof that it's not always so great after all.

The best part of the day was going to the dentist. No cavities.

Otherwise:
• I've (temporarily, but probably not) taken over the work duties of a guy who retired. I went in at noon today (my day off) to figure out a handful of files that he chose not deal with. Luckily I had transferred them to my computer on Saturday because four different people tried and failed to simply turn his computer on. The computer guy came in and all he could do was set up retired guy's e-mail to go to my machine. Nine hundred and thirty-six e-mails later, I left the office at 3:45 when I had originally planned to leave at 2.

• I returned to the gym today for the first time in more than a month. I felt like I was going to die, so I only stayed there about 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure that the gym workers were laughing at me when I left.

• I came home to two sinks full of dishes. I threw as much as I could in the dishwasher. Thirty minutes later, the dishwasher died. I'm annoyed because I knew it wasn't feeling well. I told Brad just the other day that it kept flashing "error" and I just hit the "go" button and eventually it went through the entire cycle. Not so this time: It threw the circuit breaker, which won't let me flip it back, and it smells electrical. It's dead, maybe repairable dead but definitely dead for now. And with a machine full of half-washed dishes and pool of water in the bottom. Great.

• So I'm like, "Oh, crap! I've gotta wash all those dishes." But my dish rack is very small. Four glasses, a pizza pan and a Pyrex casserole and it was full. (And that was the overflow that hadn't gone into the machine.) I started to dry and put away so I could move on to more dishes. The second glass that I picked up slipped out of my hand, flew across the kitchen, hit the front of the stove and and shattered. I guess I should be thankful it wasn't one of the insulated double-glass glasses. But now there are glass shards all over the floor. After a short break to swear and throw myself down on the couch and sob uncontrollably, I returned to the kitchen and swept up the glass pieces.

That's it! I'm done with today. I'm going back to my couch to watch a movie. Maybe I'll deal with things tomorrow.

P.S. Somebody please get us a new dishwasher for our anniversary.

11:15 p.m. update


I finally calmed down enough to return to the kitchen to attempt to wash some more dishes and found a gecko in the sink that appeared unable to get out. Are you freakin' kidding me?

Note: Ignore the ring of crap around my sink. I swear it doesn't normally look like that. I had pulled the plug to drain the dish water hours earlier but never came back to rinse out the debris.

No comments: