Thursday, September 11, 2008

Brad saves the day

"Brad, Bank of America is messing with me again," I call to the living room.

Bank of America, my summer nemesis, appears poised to harass me well into autumn.

Brad comes into the computer/guest room ready to head to work, "What's the problem now?"

"Well, you see, I mailed them the October payment last week. The check has cleared and Bank of America acknowledges receiving the payment but they still say that my next payment is due October 1."

The whole time I'm talking, I'm rapidly switching Firefox tabs and jabbing at the monitor with my finger. Brad looks confused.

"I'm printing them all out now."

He sighs, knowing that I'm far too excitable to call the BoA people myself. I tend to just start yelling. T.Roy has seen me in action and says I'm "terrifying." "Do you want me to call them?" Brad asks.

"Do you mind? I'd really appreciate it. Or do you need to go now?" He shakes his head and I quickly go over the printouts so that he knows what to say.

After five minutes on the phone, it becomes apparent that the problem was caused by the fact that I transposed the numbers in my payment ... what should have been 85 was 58 instead and BoA thought I was sending an extra "principal only" payment. Wouldn't that be nice to have enough money to just send extra payments?

Grr, I'm an idiot. BoA wins again. I'll send a check to cover the missing $27. But I'll live to fight them another day ... probably over something to do with my escrow payments.

No comments: