Monday, October 08, 2007

Duo review-o

Awesome, I say!

The evening started out without a snow pea in sight, so right there you know everything is going to be all right. :-)

We did not get the Kobe steaks. Turns out they were out of the tenderloin — which is actually $29/ounce, not the mere $24 that I have claimed in the past, for a minimum price of $174. But, like I said, they were out of that. We could have ordered the Kobe New York steak, 8 0z., $216 (at the bargain rate of $27/oz.), but that would be ridiculous.

So, we settle for the Kobe beef sashimi appetizer. I'm not a fan of wasabi sauce, so I only had two pieces. But they were really good. That was seriously the most tender meat with an amazing texture. I can't even really describe it. But after the appetizer, Brad was like, "Man! We have to come back and order the Kobe steak. We have to."

The entrees were also fabulous. I had the 7-0z. filet mignon with the herb and garlic sauce. Brad had a 10-oz. ribeye with the peppercorn sauce. (I think it was a ribeye.) Both really tasty. For sides we ordered the cheesy truffled potato spuddies and the spinach. The potatoes were too truffley for my taste. I was disappointed. Brad says "too truffley" is not possible. Guess who did not even try the spinach. But there are still lots of other sides to be tried next time. Say the extra-sharp cheddar macaroni and cheese or the garlic-herb potato fingerlings? And there will be a next time.

For dessert we shared the Duo-style Smores. They were good. I'm not going to thumb my nose at gooey, chocolately goodness. I really liked the cinnamon graham crackers, they gave it a kick. But they weren't the "toast your own marshmallows" smores of N9ne fame.

The best part of the whole meal may have been the free bowl of fresh grape cotton candy that came with the bill. I had heard the lady at a table next to us comment that it was the best cotton candy she'd ever had. So absolutely true. Brad and I ate the whole thing ... then pondered asking for a bag of it to go. (We did see people leaving with bags of it.) Our waiter said that the flavor changes nightly. Sometimes green apple. Sometimes "bubbalicious." We love the grape.

No comments: