Monday is the one-year anniversary of the big Hawaii earthquake of 2006.
How terrified of earthquakes do I continue to be to this day? The answer is very.
Brad and I are still debating the "stand in a doorway" vs. the "Triangle of Life" method of survival. Which one just sounds like you are going to live? Hint: It has capital letters and the word "life" in its name.
Not many of the major players were here ... TV was on her Cheeseland sabbatical, EdC. was in Thailand (or someplace like), Burger had already moved on to future stardom. That just leaves me, Brad, Kayhow and T.Roy. I don't remember T.Roy's reaction — cool, calm and collected, I'm sure. Kayhow thought the North Koreans were bombing us. I thought that if I just pulled Brad's arm over me, like I was having a bad dream, everything would be OK. And Brad didn't know what the heck was going on.
Perhaps my most vivid memory of that day was the unbelievably long line at the chicken stand in the Longs parking lot. Seriously ... did those people not even have a box of Pop Tarts and a bag of potato chips to live off of for the 8 hours that we didn't have electricity? Brad and I still, and will for all of eternity, refer to that place (though I think it has moved to the ambulance church) as the "earthquake chicken stand."
2 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment