Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What is my problem with McDonald's?


OK, so last week I complained about the fact that there is a McDonald's going up in my hometown of Sheldon, Iowa.

Several people have asked me why that's a problem. So, I'll try to explain. Maybe I'm a long-distance NIMBY or maybe I'm just a sentimental schmuck, but here's what it comes down to: Its not a small town anymore if it has a McDonald's. As if to prove my point, Edgy replied, "I don't know any place that doesn't have a McDonald's." I do. I know lots of them. And T.Roy said, "Well, then Maui hasn't been a small town since I was a junior in high school." I'm not even going to begin to guess how long ago that was, and while it may be relatively boring, I've never thought of Maui as a "small town."

I'm not trying to say that the town of Sheldon is wonderful. The people tend to be a little kooky. And there's really nothing to do there. But its safe. Its quiet. Its a nice place to raise a family. Will a McDonald's change all of that? No. But it will change some things. Future Sheldonians won't appreciate the specialness of driving 30 miles to have McDonald's hot cakes with their dad ... because they won't have to, there's one right down the road ... and they can get hot cakes every day of the week if they want.

Everybody's got a McDonald's. And Sheldon will too. Now what sets it apart from other towns?

No comments: