Maui officials believe human remains found off the Makena coast Friday morning may be those of a California man reported missing Thursday after failing to return from a free diving excursion. Officials also said that the remains contained marks consistent with shark bites. South Maui beaches remain closed until noon Saturday.
That's just scary. Brad and I have nixed plans to go to the beach on Sunday . . . and maybe forever.
According to people that should be in the know, an increased turtle population has brought more sharks closer to the shores. That in turn leads to more shark attacks on people, because, as T.Roy tells me, sharks are unable to distinguish a person from a turtle from underneath. Because, according to T.Roy, sharks (which apparently have bad eyesight) just see something floating at the top with four limbs dangling down and torso in the middle.
I guess that makes sense. And I wanted to believe him, I really did ... him being my hero and all. But then he did his interpretation of what a shark sees and he just looked ridiculous.
I said, "Nah-uh, you're making this up."
He said, "No! What? You don't believe me? That's what all my surfer friends say. You ask EdT. He'll tell you. He's a smart guy. Don't you believe him?"
Me: "I thought YOU were a smart guy, too. Until you just did that turtle dance. Please don't ever do that again."
2 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment