Thursday, February 09, 2006

I'm not as stupid as I look

My post about the mysterious man at my door the other night caused quite an unexpected uproar.

Brad was reasonably upset that the neighbor had been robbed and we could be next. That was really the only reaction I was expecting.

I told my story to my co-workers and their response was mixed. One person said she'd likely do the same thing (open the door), while two others suggested that I'm a dumb-dumb head and I'm lucky to be alive.

My mom called me to express concern that I would open the door to a complete stranger. I tried to argue that he looked completely harmless (and so far has turned out to be so) and I could have easily grabbed something sharp if need be. But I'd say I was less than successful in convincing her that I'm not an idiot.

She also questioned if I had discussed this alleged robbery with my landlord to see if it was true. Because as my mom pointed out, the neighbor/victim could have been the actual robber "staking out the joint." I think she might watch too much "Law & Order."

But the truth is, no, I haven't asked my landlord about it. You see, my landlord hates me ... I complain too much. And Brad doesn't like it when I talk to them because I think he's afraid I'm going to get us evicted someday.

So, the point is: I don't know if this guy was really robbed or is really even my neighbor, but I'm still alive and no poorer than I was at the beginning of the week. We never figured out what the scratching sounds were the other night, and thankfully we haven't heard them again.

But if anything changes, I'll let you know.

No comments: