Tuesday, February 07, 2006

My crime-ridden apartment complex

I was sitting here messing around on the computer when there was a knock on the door.

It was about 8:30 p.m. and, amazingly, I had NOT ordered pizza so I was a bit hesitant to open the door.

I looked through the peep hole and it was a guy I'd never seen before, but I opened the door a crack anyway.

He told me that he'd just moved in next door and was just letting me know that he and his roommate had been robbed last night. I gasped, "No way! Oh my gosh, that's terrible!"

Yah, he said, they came in through the sliding door in the back bedroom while he was asleep in there. And took $300 out of his wallet which was laying on the nightstand. Then they/he/she/it moved to his roommate's room and took her entire purse before leaving. Scary.

He said that he (the neighbor, who is named Chris by the way) had just spoken to the woman on the other side of him and she had been robbed in the last few weeks also. Eek!

I then thought to question if his sliding door had been locked. No, he said, it was hot and he'd left it open a bit for the breeze. Rookie mistake. I told him that we're real paranoid and always, always have our doors locked. Turns out he just moved here from Arkansas. (That really means nothing bad, Iowa is no more sophisicated than Arkansas ... and I have several friends from there.) "Nice welcome to Maui," he said.

That's a crappy deal and I feel bad for him.

I called Brad at work and told him about it. He basically said "Eek!" Then he reminded me of the scary scratching sounds that we heard several nights ago (Sunday, I think). Could have been people trying to get into our place, but I'd prefer not to think that it was.

No comments: